Industrialisation and environmental responsibility – historically, these two terms have been perceived as opposites and even now, industrialisation is associated with pollution, toxic emissions, and overall environmental degradation. However, with some conscious effort, large-scale industrial growth can coexist with sustainable practices. For that to happen, all stakeholders involved will have to consider the magnitude of industrial impact on climate change and work towards mitigating risks.

Why is green manufacturing the need of the hour?

Global warming is a real threat. The rising global temperatures are creating newer survival challenges, not just for human beings, but also for almost all the species on our planet. A recent report by the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has warned that carbon dioxide emissions must reduce by about 45% by 2030 and reach ‘net zero’ by 2050, to safeguard the planet from the irreversible effects of climate change. Large-scale manufacturing facilities are one of the main contributors to industrial pollution. While there’s constant effort to come up with eco-friendly products, little is being done to ensure that their manufacturing process remains sustainable as well. To ensure that, a dedicated strategy is crucial.

How can manufacturing turn green?

It is critical that manufacturing companies actually commit themselves to cleaner and greener practices – not just for CSR but for day-to-day operations. Here’s how they can do that.

  1. Controlling water usage

More than 96% of the Earth’s water is saltwater and largely unusable. From the remaining 4%, only 1% are both usable and readily available. Hence, it’s really important to protect this precious resource. With that in mind, at the Kabira Mobility corporate office in Goa, we have set up a rainwater-harvesting system that reduces ground water consumption and also improves its quality. While rainwater harvesting is an efficient way of water collection and usage, there are various water saving equipment available to help reduce wastage considerably. These include low-flow faucet aerators that reduce water usage, and grey water diverters that facilitate the reuse of discarded shower or laundry water in flush tanks or garden watering systems.

  1. Reliance on renewable energy

Manufacturing facilities powered by fossil fuels can undo all the positive impact that their products could have. Aware of this right from the beginning of our journey, all the three Kabira Mobility manufacturing plants are completely powered by solar energy. In fact, our clean energy output is so much that we often share the surplus with the government. Companies can show their commitment to the environment by switching to one of many renewable energy sources available like solar, wind, hydropower, or geothermal.

  1. Circular manufacturing

Facilities that specialize in circular manufacturing reuse, share, repair, refurbish, remanufacture and recycle, to create a closed-loop system that reduces waste, minimises the use of resources, and also curtails carbon emissions. Circular manufacturing also includes creating a shared system, where one company lends equipment to another through green transportation methods. A well planned circular manufacturing approach could create a huge positive impact on the environment.

  1. Purifying air

According to the WHO, an estimated 7 million people die every year due to exposure to polluted air. It’s hence crucial to keep the air quality around you clean. One of the ways to achieve this is by creating more green cover. At Kabira Mobility, we have achieved this by planting more than 3500 trees around our three electric vehicle (EV) manufacturing facilities. Ensuring reduced air pollution could also involve switching to electric vehicles for your supply chains, and choosing cleaner and non-toxic raw materials.

With rising global temperatures, the threat of catastrophic future events looms large. To reverse the effects of industrial pollution, large-scale manufacturing companies will have to proactively adapt to greener ways – be it for manufacturing, sourcing raw materials, or transportation. Together, this can certainly be achieved.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here